Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

I am an Interactive Digital Design student at Quinnipiac University. I am also minoring in Screenwriting.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

The Plastic Box

I decided that I would visit the site called The Plastic Box where there is an animation series entitled "Teddy and Anna." This animation interested me because it was very different compared to the Barbie My Scene animations that I viewed earlier. The first thing that I noticed, was that this animation had a setting that was quite unusual. It appeared to be taking place in the 1920's era, yet the technology that was shown in the animation was not available in the actual 1920s. The setting gave it a more futuristic appeal. Also, the colors scheme that was used was very different compared to the scheme in the My Scene animations. In "Teddy and Anna," the bright warm colors were used everywhere, not just in the important places as in the My Scene animations. Instead, of audio for voices, "Teddy and Anna" just had music playing in the background and the dialogue was printed in words on the screen. This gave the animation the look of a silent film, which also was popular in the 1920s. The movement in "Teddy and Anna" also differs from the My Scene animations. In "Teddy and Anna," the characters have a very smooth motion when they move unlike the characters in the My Scene animations. I think that the animator needed this element because there was no vocal audio to keep the viewer watching. Then again, that's just my opinion.
I was also watching the story line in each of the episodes of "Teddy and Anna." Each of the episodes are thought out carefully and have a cliffhanger ending so that the viewer will watch the next episode. Of course, so far there's only 6 episodes, and the story isn't completed yet. After watching episode 6 I'm waiting to see what happens to teddy and Anna and the strange men that took something from Anna's dad's office. Anyway, I enjoy "Teddy and Anna" because of it's story line and it's amazing animation. I can't wait to see what happens next!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cassandra said...

I liked this animation, too. I think you're right, the animator does do a good job of leaving you wanting more at the end of each episode, not only wanting the next part, but wanting, like you mentioned, to know why the 1920's feel doesn't quite match up with the things happening in the story, especially because (at least to me) the storyline is sometimes hard to follow. I needed to watch the episode a couple times to catch everything.
I've only watched up until episode 4, and there were some things I noticed that you didn't say in your blog, and I was wondering if you had caught these things, too? (In #4)
You mentioned the color scheme, and I think it's pretty cool the way he uses it subtly to point out different emotions or differences between the characters. Like when he uses a color fade to dark blue when Anna's remembering her mother's funeral, and in that memory most of the colors are black and white. And if you look really closely, the picture of Anna's mother has the most contrast in the memory scene. Also, Anna, Teddy, and Anna's father have a similar yellow-brown color scheme, but the strange men who come in have a bluish thing going on.
The first time you see the strange window-washer people, I think it's really clever of the animator to show they're outside by using a purple-to-yellow gradient. It's really the only time in the animation there's a gradient applied.

Wow, that was pretty long! Sorry about that. Good luck on your project!
-Sandy

10:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jessica, Good post - you need to watch out for typos and errors in your writing.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home