Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

I am an Interactive Digital Design student at Quinnipiac University. I am also minoring in Screenwriting.

Monday, September 06, 2004

"My Scene" Animations

I went on the Barbie site and checked out the My Scene animations there. My 5 year old sister enjoyed watching them with me while I was babysitting. Who knew homework could be so convenient! Anyway, I was watching the short animations at My Scene and I noticed a couple of things about the animation itself. I noticed that the objects that were standing out the most were brightly colored and more often the center of the scene. For example, when one of the girls were talking, she was brightly colored and the center of the screen. In addition, the background used a dull color scheme that hardly moved at all. In the short film entitled "Does She Buy It?", the whole background is mostly black, white and grey. However, in a shot of a rack of clothes only one of the shirts is colored yellow making it stand out. This shirt is picked up by one of the characters which defines that the shirt was important to notice.
I also observed the minimal movement that the characters provided. When they spoke, their facial features did most of the moving. I assume that the creators wanted the viewer to focus mostly on what character was saying. Also, when movement is supposed to be portrayed, in some scenes just the background is what is really moving. For example, in part 3 of the same film "Does She Buy It?" the girls are supposed to be dancing at a club, but instead of their bodies moving, the background colors stream across along with the still figures of the girls. The idea that the girls are dancing is apparent because of the louder music and the setting that the girls are in. This shows that movement isn't the only solution to expressing an action. This not only saved time for the animators but it also made the animation more interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jessica, EXCELLENT first blog post! This is exactly the kind of looking, thinking, and analysis I am asking for. Well done. Keep up the good work.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home